Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Enter the e-waiter!

Restaurants in Europe, the United States and Japan are testing technology to let diners order their food direct from a screen at their table instead of depending on a fellow human being to note their choice -- sometimes grumpily or erroneously.

This may work for only a limited few concepts where ambiance and personality are of no importance as much as speed of service and availability. I have visited a few places such as Sheetz gas station where they offer many gourmet items off their hot line and you order from a touch screen. It works there, but if I am going to go out with family and friends for a good meal, part of the experience of going out is the theatre that a good waiter can provide. Have a great waiter and you will have the time of your life. Have a terrible one; and you have stories to share with friends and family. Either way, I would rather take my chances with the human being thana boring touch screen computer. I almost always know what I will get that the LED screen of death.

read more | digg story

No comments: